Monday, June 11, 2007

The Inimitable Wodehouse... An Introduction..

Before I start : This update comes soon after the previous one ! Do NOT miss the one below :)

Okk.. now that we are done with the preliminaries, let me introduce you, for the very first time on my blog... Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse..

The simplest and the most succinct description of Sir P.G. Wodehouse has been given by Douglas Adam : “P.G. Wodehouse is the greatest comic writer ever.”

No words that I can conjure, will be able to describe his genius any better. So I'll not attempt to do so either. Below are a few quotes from some of Wodehouse's best works which will leave you laughing in fits :


  1. It was one of those jolly, happy, bread-crumbling parties where you cough twice before you speak, and then decide not to say it after all

  2. I suppose I'm one of those fellows my father always warned me against.

  3. I can detach myself from the world. If there is a better world to detach oneself from than the one functioning at the moment I have yet to hear of it.

  4. ``What ho!'' I said.
    ``What ho!'' said Monty.

    ``What ho! What ho!''
    ``What ho! What ho! What ho!''
    After that it seemed rather difficult to go on with the conversation.

  5. The fascination of shooting as a sport depends almost wholly on whether you are at the right or wrong end of the gun

  6. She wrinkles her nose at me as if I were a drain that had got out of order

  7. Her face was shining like the seat of a bus-driver's trousers

  8. I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled !

  9. I know I was writing stories when I was five. I don't know what I did before that. Just loafed I suppose.

  10. She fitted into my biggest armchair as if it had been built round her by someone who knew they were wearing armchairs tight about the hips that season !
Watch out for more bits of work from this literary genius on my blog !

Till next time.. Cheers !

7 comments:

Gagan said...

Hey! why so many colours on the blog?
yellow, pink , green... everything!

Unknown said...

@Gagan

Sheer exaggeration ! There's merely white, black, green, orange and red ! No PINK whatsoever :P

pri said...

U finally wrote abt the "inimitable" P.G. Wodehouse..but i dont know why i just dont understand his humour...its too dry and english and Jeeves is tooo much of a gentleman for me :P

Preethi said...

Hmm.. write one more "nice" blog of Wodehouse and THEN, I'll pick up his book!

Gagan said...

See abhinav...you were just not convincing enough!

Unknown said...

@Gagan

Tch ! Immature girls :P !

Preethi said...

Next blog! next blog!! how many years do you take to write one blog? HMPH!
I added your blog link to my home page.. So, now atleast write a blog!!!!!

Visit blogadda.com to discover Indian blogs